Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gone With the Fair

I snuck a quick picture.

Here's the dress a very talented girl made for 4-H this year. (see post below). Last year, she made a wool coat & modeled it in 100 degree heat. She is so out of our league. Let me know if you want a picture of her modeling this, I'll sneak another one.


And of course, every dress needs a matching Barbie cake.

Well, enough of her... Shadowman did well, not sure what he did, I need to look at it again -- the judges liked his leadership report, those are his ribbons.

Lizzie's humanitarian quilt is behind it (she got a blue ribbon) - she made it out of Silly Safari fabric (never showed it on the blog, because we lost the photo card in the middle of our fair fun.) It's really bright & cute.


Miss Bella did all right too with her Mary Engelbreit fabric quilt. Both of the girls were judged on their quilt & their History of Quilting reports. Riveting reading.

Today, we'll find out how the girls did on their sewing and how Shadowman did with his flannel Timber Creek quilt. Yesterday, we were turning it in & my machine quilter had used blue pen on it to draw on some of the leaves & it was still there. Oooops, had to run to the bathroom to get it wet, then would get back & find more pen. The fair lady was really nice; she set it out to dry. This is in the midst of us juggling his lego, pottery cereal bowl and candy entries.

18 comments:

  1. You are right, that dress is amazing...and you say she made it? How old is this girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really now? A matching Barbie cake? lol And of course, we want a picture of her modeling as well as your girls. The quilts are all great. Hope all goes well. This sounds like a lot of fun (and work), but a great learning experience. I don't know of anyone that gets to excited when our fair comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I love this! I'd give anything to get my grandson interested in doing stuff like this. I may yet try again, after being inspired by your kids. :-) Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that dress is amazing. I can't wait to see more pictures. I just love fairs, and all the neat stuff people make and enter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your blog makes me very happy
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is not a criticism at all but I'm kind of surprised they let 4-Hers have their quilts professionally quilted. I know that would never fly here in Illinois. Also, we have "modeling" but we call it the fashion review and he kids are judged on the fit of the clothes, their budget for the outfit and their reasoning behind their choices (economic, fashion, sizing, etc.). Is that similar to your modeling? I know a lot of times the kids find out in the process of making on outfit by hand that it is LESS cost effective then buying premade but it allows you more flexibility to customize and get the exact right fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... congrats! what a beautiful job! TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our modeling is modeling of all of the clothing entries at our fair, they are only judged on the modeling. It's pretty fun. If they place, they can compete at the state fair.

    My son's quilt isn't a 4-H project. It's being judged on the piecing, not the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You bring back memories! One year we were caring in pies for one of our exhibits and my brother tripped and landed in one of them. Needless to say there were tears and now years later a lot of laughs! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would rather see your daughter modeling let miss barbie cake have her own blog in the sun....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad they don't have a catagory for Mothers of three 4-hers
    Corrie deserves the big award :)
    If it wasn't so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it is so fun to see the exhibits at the fair. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That 4h dress is over the top! Holy Cow. Your girls did well. You're a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow there are young ladies sewing like this these days???? Amazing. I remember when I was young and younger, took sewing in school and it was all I could do to make a simple Empire Waist Dress. Nothing basically but straight seams, this Gone with The Wind dress is wonderful to say the least and this from a teenager, WOW. Yes we want to see her modeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Get all the pictures that you can! Why do you have to sneak them?? I took picures in the 4h booth before without any hassles. The dress is pretty, wonder what she will use it for. Let's see that Silly Safari quilt! Let's see your kids with all their ribbons! Looks like they did a great job. I can't wait to hear how your son's quilt did and how the modeling goes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so cool! Congrats!


    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW Corrie,
    I don't even feel worthy to be your friend with the talents your children have...but it's no surprise with you as their mom. You always amaze me at your limitless talent. Congrats to the kids...MOM TOO!! Miss you, Nicol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was searching the net for an invisible knot tutorial, and came here!! Your tutorial was very helpful, hope to follow this tonight as i am stitching a bday gift today and this tip is so timely!!

    Many Thanks
    Sharmila

    ReplyDelete