Friday, December 11, 2009

Granny Square Scarf Attempt

I've just finished up this little goodie for a certain 'peanut' in my family.
Hope she's not reading Taffy Talk these days.

We saw a cute scarf similar to this in a store and I thought to myself,
"Self, you have yarn coming our of your ears. Make one up!"
Thus, an attempt was made....

I'm not a crochet expert or pattern writer. I didn't think of taking pictures along my journey, so you just get some basic instructions.
If you're a crocheter, it should make sense. ;)
But not necessarily. :(


How to make a Granny Square Scarf:

I used leftover Red Heart Soft Yarn. I really like the little sheen it has to it and it's as it states: Soft, not that icky cheap yarn feel. Also comes in a variety of colors.
I used 8 different colors.

Size K Crochet Hook
Each colored square: Chain 6 and join with a slip stitch in the 1st beginning chain to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as first double crochet), work 19 more dc in ring, join with a sl st in top of beg ch -20 dc
Round 2: Ch 1, single crochet in same space as join, sc in next 4 dc *ch 2, sc in next 5 dc, rep from * around, end ch 2, join with sl st in beginning sc.
Round 3: Ch 1, *sc in next 5 sc, 4 sc in next ch-2 space, rep from * around, join with sl st in beginning sc - 36 sc. Fasten off. Leave a 12" tail for sewing together.

Make 26 squares for a 6 foot scarf, approx.
Using the 12" tail of your first square, slip stitch your squares together. Any leftover 'tail' can be crocheted in later when you put the black border on.

After they are all attached in a long chain, using black yarn, single crochet all the way around. At each corner, put 2 single crochets in one stitch, to help turn the corner. As you go around, catch any 'tails' as you crochet around in black.

I hope peanut likes it.

12 comments:

  1. wow that's cute! wish i could crochet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course she will like it, so cute and fun, I only know how to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now comes the afgan I have always wanted to make one out of granny squares I love your scarf and the peanut will to..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very first yarn-y project eons ago was a granny square afghan! If nothing, I was ambitious. I had stacks of the squares all over the house as I couldn't seem to get them all the same size! I have much more success with quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really pretty scarf. I'm sure she willlove it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, she'll like it fo sho! :-) I really really want to learn to do this. I've even bought the highly recommended book First Crochet, but have yet to sit down with yarn, hook and a clear mind. That may take a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I really like how it is outlined in black. Crochet is not something I can do. Oh well, more time for fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like it. my learn-to-crochet-bag has been ignored since summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good pics. Really Cute. Like the aqua & the black outlining. Am I the peanut? :-) I like that aqua chair. Is it outside? poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the helpful info you supply in your articles. I
    will bookmark your weblog and check once more right here frequently.
    I'm quite sure I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
    My web page fast diet

    ReplyDelete