Monday, November 16, 2009

The Amazing, Disappearing, Fractured, Quartered Nine Patch

A block of many names...it's been around awhile. I got to it.
Try it, you'll like it.
I was trying to explain this popular block to a gal at church,
so I thought I'd show her.
I started with 5" strip sets, but you could also use 5" charm squares.

You can do any size square.

Then cut the strips into 5" pieces.

Sewed my nine patch together, then cut it down the middle.

Then cut it again the other way -- now it's quartered.


Then rotated the two blue squares so they touch in the middle.


There's your block. It's out of planes, trains, & automobiles.





Piece of cake! Easy Easy


Cake reminds me of pie.

Pie...



We needed to look at that fabric again. mmmm good


Okay, back to it.


Made a crib size for my church humanitarian group.
Got it tied this weekend and it's off to a new home.


Made a goodnight monkey one at the retreat. Used a fat quarter in the middle.


zzzzzzz.....zzzzzzz.....

It's a fun, quick block.

19 comments:

  1. yes, I have finally done this pattern - in purple. basted the baby quilt before the weekend and hope to complete the whole thing this week so I can baste/quilt the remaining two baby quilts. I butchered up the quilt this round because I did not calculate carefully so it will be easier for me to cut the block into quarters. Look like I may be making a second one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it look so easy. I think I'll have to have a go. I love the fabrics especially the monkey fabric.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this pattern! I like to keep rotating, to see which way I like it best, and I love how different it looks each time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great pattern! And it looks so easy. Well, at least how you describe it. I think I will try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this D9P block. They are so much fun to make and always produce such interesting results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing how to do this pattern. I've heard about it, but this looks so easy to do. Love the pink cupcake :-s

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made a few of those myself, they work up fast and each one is so different.

    Loved the rest of your quilts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that one doesnt look too hard, will have to add it to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you started with the strips. Always thinking...
    A disappearing nine patch is on my SOMEDAY list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, that monkey one is really cute! I just bought some monkey fabric today, thinking of using it for a charity quilt. maybe the disappearing 9 patch would be perfect. thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! I just blocks from an exchange and I can't wait to get started on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. clever placement of the stripe and/or the red which tie the other prints together. i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute quilt. Great baby quilt. I keep saying I am going to make one of these. I just need to DO it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute Corrie. Thanks. I'm going to do mine that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That disappearing 9 patch is certainly popular. Love how you set your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hia Corrie, thank you for visiting my blog. I would've posted this comment on your most recent post but I had a problem.

    It looks like you've been having fun with your 9 patches. :-) Good luck with your giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found this from a Google search. Thank you for the steps! I love the strip way to do a nine patch, and putting a fat quarter in the middle!

    ReplyDelete