Monday, January 25, 2010

Kimono Baby~

I am not of Japanese descent but I wish I was.
I'm pretty sure my babies would have rocked a kimono!!


Picture this: long sleeve onesie with some cute little tights underneath.
This might be my next baby gift of choice
.....even over a quilt!

Perish the thought!

Tutorial here.
While the tutorial is not super thorough and you do need some sewing experience.....she has given you a great way to make a pattern and has provided numerous sizes AND it's totally free.
Love that!

I made the 6mos, size.
For this size it would be cute to pick out 3 fat quarters.
2 for the kimono and one for the binding.
I used a 14" square to make my bias binding.
I cut my binding 1 1/2 " wide.

. Attaching the bias around the neck was a trick.
But I'm a tricky girl and was motivated by the challenge!
I unpicked 3 times.
I am kimono maker,
hear me roar!!


Any thoughts on Kimonos for boys?
Are you the mom that would not have
any problems putting her strapping son
in something that looks like a dress?
I'm pretty sure I would have done it.
Just don't let his chubby legs chafe.



I can't wait to make her sundress next!!
I promise not to make my son wear it.
He IS 19.

10 comments:

  1. think my 10 yo would wear it just for kicks! you've done an awesome job and I love the fabric you picked out!

    I kept all three of my boys in easy, comfy clothing when they were younger! probably explains a lot now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! can i see it with the robots. i love this pattern and i am very impressed with your sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute. If you had used bias binding it might have been easier. I'm going to make some of these. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got to make that for my grand daughter! So so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did use bias binding. It was just a tricky neck line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made one of these last year for my daughter, and hated working around that neckline too. And then the little darling refused to wear the darn thing anyway. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. So that's where the aqua peeps went to... I still have some too :-). Super cute, nice pics too. i'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little slow on commenting... however, these are so stinkin' cute & I think they would make a great baby gift *hint*hint* :) You do awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I love your fabric!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial, I hope the gift recipient love it too!

    The neckline is a bit tricky, but after one or two it will be a breeze for you.

    ReplyDelete