Monday, October 4, 2010

Poolside

With a trip to California coming up,
I wanted to make a couple of quilts for my family.
This one I'm calling Poolside because 
of the beautiful pool at my brother's house.
Even though the temperature was in the 100's, 
I do believe they will need a quilt at some point. 
Doesn't everyone?
I was inspired by this quilt of Natalie's.  
Isn't it gorgeous??!!
I needed to make mine a little quicker and still have a decent size. 

I used 4 1/2" strips of 15 different fabrics.  
Most are from Amy Butler's line of Daisy Chain.  
The white fabric was cut in 3 1/2" strips. I think I had 13 strips of white.  I just sewed all the print strips together (I cut each one in half) in one big long strip and did the same with the white.  I cut the center, starting rectangle, 4 1/2 " x 10 1/2".  Then just went around and around like a log cabin.   
The overall size ended up around 60" x 67".  
I opted for some Anna Maria Horner Folksy Flannel 
(which I'm kind of addicted to)
  
for the back.  
I'm so happy with the finished product! 
 
I'm going to see if I can scrounge up some more of these fabrics and make one for me. 
If I only had a pool to go with it. 
*sigh*


20 comments:

  1. Good Morning Des, first thing that came to mind with this delightful quilt was sea breeze...it is beautiful...I love simplicity, I love the colours, I love that you care enough to give your brother a quilt for his POOLSIDE lol...It will look good on a chair if nothing else...listen I spent the whole weekend cutting and sewing orange slices..it is coming along sew well...wink..blessings msamm

    ReplyDelete
  2. des its wonderful! poolside is a perfect name! giving quilts as gifts is so fabulous! even in 100 degee weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Thanks for the info on how you made it, because my first thought was "oh, I want to make one!". Your brother will love it! Oh, and have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - It is just beautiful! I love those colors and fabric!!! I think I need to find some daisy chain. Love the bigger strips too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! The bigger strips suit the prints wonderfully!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt. Great job. I think when I make one for me I will use your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, awesome quilt! (I love the word scrounge. This is the first I've seen it in print!:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I absolutely love that!! The simplicity of the quilt brings out the wonderful prints and colors. I think I want to make this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt! It was in the 100s last week but it is raining here in So. Cal today. Go figure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that quilt Des! If I ever get to go back out in the studio (and start a new project) I must certainly make one. Thanks for sharing and have a great time in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is gorgeous and looks like it should have a pool beside it. Hope the weather warms up here so you can use that pool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh Des -- it's absolutely gorgeous. So perfectly named too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is sooo beautiful! Great job - and great name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a beautiful quilt! You just gave me an idea of what to do with my Meadowsweet fat quarter bundle - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. as much as i like your inspiration quilt. who wouldn't love quicker. great job. Poolside is so very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i like this quilt- thanks for sharing the piecing details...i can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete